my fit pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Asthma or not asthma?

So I know it's been super duper long since I last posted!  Lets just say I have felt a little overwhelmed with life lately.  For some reason nothing every gets fully done and there are things I want to do but never do it.  I need to plan better I guess.  This is one of those things that far to often falls by the way side.
Long story short in the last 30 days we have spent the night in OU's Children's Hospital twice.  Which all I can say is just the funnest thing ever!  Not.  Around the end of last month I wanna say the last Saturday of the month David got a runny nose.  No big deal I think he got it from play with a friend who also was sporting one.  I figured no fever no worries.  I was wrong.  The next day he felt worse so we stayed home from church being it was Sunday.  All I remember is sitting down to lunch and David sitting in his high chair really struggling to breath.
So we called the doctor and waited for a nurse to call back and she asked how close we were to children's and I told her and she told me to come in right away.  Well David had fallen asleep so we played around to see if it would improve on it's own.  It didn't.  Joe thinking it would just be one long ER visit opted to stay home which was fine because I figured he was right.  We got to the hospital at 7:20 pm (it took extra long because I got lost).  We got a room by 7:40 and all the tests started with what seemed to be lighting fast speed for the ER (I'm used to sitting around and waiting forever).  They listened to him, did a chest ER to check for namia (which I cannot spell for the life of me).  They checked his oxygen in his blood (always a good amount). 
They also did breathing treatments.  If you are unfamiliar with this it's pretty much like a smoke machine (or at least that's what it looks like) that take a liquid type steroid, coverts it into smoke and your kid wears an oxygen mask to breath it in.  They also call it a nebulizer if you have a home unit.  They did sever back to back ones at first (I wanna say 3 of them) and then 1 more later on during the night, but since it causes the heart to race since of the steroid they didn't feel comfortable doing more and wanted to keep him to be able to administer them throughout the night.
I just remember we actually had two ER doctor's assined to us, but mostly dealt with one.  The one who we didn't do much with simply stopped by our bed and said we are going to keep him over night and left.  I was in shock!  So I called Joe (though I was keeping contact with him throughout the night) and told him what was what.  I wanna say this was probably around 9:30.  So Joe loaded a backpack with whatever would fit and got on his motorcycle and met us at the hospital. 
We didn't get into our room till 11!  We didn't get settled till about 1.  It was a horrible night of beeping machines people coming in and out to continue the treatments and to check on David.  David hated his IV.  Though they give them what looks like a black split for their arm so they don't mess with it, David kept messing with the Velcro on it.  David then woke up around 8:30 the next morning.  Uh!
So after awhile we got sent home with everyone saying it was just an infection that had affected his lungs and that lots of kids were getting it.  We all took a good nap that afternoon.
Fast forward to this past weekend.  David started to get a runny nose late Friday.  I was a little nervous because hello it was a flash back!  So we didn't do much this weekend.  Saturday the nose got worse and Sunday morning bang there it was again!  David got up around 6 and was heaving his chest again.  I had been given an inhaler last time, but it didn't seem to be helping.  I felt like it was to little to late.  So once again we just keep an eye on him. 
David at one point got so upset and was coughing so much he threw up quite a bit.  But after that he seemed to feel better and actually ate something for the first time that day.  So I was hoping we had turned a corner.  Not really.  The breathing didn't get any better.  I think it was his sternum I could actually see at the bottom of his rib cage every time he tried to breath and that scared me!  So I once again call the after hours nurse and they tell me the same thing as last time.
Me thinking since it was a lot earlier in the day than last time told Joe to just stay home because they shouldn't be keeping us since we should hopefully get it all settled in the ER.  I was wrong.  We got there around 1:20 in the afternoon.  We quickly got a room and things were done differently this time.  We told them what had happened last time and we got an IV right away where last time we didn't get it till after we were in the hospital room.  They also started on the breathing treatments a lot sooner, but still did a chest x-ray to once again rule out any problems with the lungs.
I had to use the bathroom at one point and one of the nurses was kind enough to hold David for me so I could go.  After that every time a nurse came in David wanted to be held by them.  They thought it was pretty cute.  So a little before 6 they tell me once again they aren't completely happy with his breathing and once again keep him.  I call Joe and he gets there around 6:30.
We get into the room and all is set up and David goes to bed around 8, but wakes when he roles over but is asleep again by 9.  He slept a lot better the second time even with the lady who did the breathing treatments waking him up (to me it seemed to be on purpose where the last time they didn't wake him or really even touch him much).  We all woke up got our breakfast David got one more treatment and the Doctor (who was super nice) gave us the ok to go home. 
The second time we were there everyone from the ER doctor to the hospital doctor kept saying asthma, but didn't really want to do much with it.   So we saw David's normal doctor today who also said the same thing and put David on a daily inhaler along with his already rescue inhaler.  So please keep your fingers crossed this doesn't happen again in a month or I'm going to freak out!  But overall David seems happy but is still having a little bit of breathing issues, but hopefully when the cold clears it does too. 
Sorry for the book thought I'd keep you posted.  haha


3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of stress to go through for no for sure answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They tested him for pneumonia? Is that what you meant? Did they give you guidance on what to do in the future when he gets a cold and has another asthma attack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they didn't tell me much of anything. I keep thinking about making another appointment and to talk to them about it, but I guess I'm just praying that it doesn't happen again either.

      Delete

Popular Posts

background