my fit pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Worst Tuesday of my life (Feb. 2)

So on this Tuesday it started like any other Tuesday. I woke up showered made Joe lunch when he come home for his hour break and then went about doing my normal cleaning duties. So around 3ish I had blood when I went to the bathroom. Not trying to over react I just simply called the doctor and told them that I had some spotting and wanted to know where to go from here. Fast forward till 3:20 when Joe got home from work and I was getting really bad cramps and I was just sitting in a chair bawling my eyes out because the doctor had yet to call me back and I didn't know what to do. So Joe had me lie down in bed and brought me a small snack and we just tried to relax till the doctor called. Joe fell asleep, but I was out of my mind crazy scared so I wasn't able to sleep. So at 3:45 I call back the doctor and say I don't know how the bleeding is going because it looked like it was lessening, but the cramps kept getting worse. So they told me they'd get me a spot to get an untra sound and they'd call me back.
A little after 4 while I'm just standing by my phone I get this feeling like a balloon had just bursted inside of me and now there was blood running down my legs and fast! So right after this happens the doctor of course calls back and I'm trying to explain what happened, but she doesn't seem to get it, she just keeps telling me to get to the clinic. So I tell her I have to change my clothes. So Joe helps me to undress to try not to make a worse mess than what was already going, but it didn't really help. I end up in the bathroom just trying to figure out a way to get out of the house without bleeding over everything. I feel like I want to be sick from all the blood in the toilet, I even tried to shower thinking that would help, which it just made a bigger mess. The shower and bathroom floor (which is carpeted) where pretty dang gross from what I can remember (Joe was a sweet heart and cleaned up everything for me). I even called out one time in panic "it's like someone died in here," only to say just seconds later, "Someone did die in here." So I manage to kind of get myself together. I leave the house with a pad, tampon, and toilet paper in my under ware. I snag a towel for the car and we go to what we think was the place to go. To be honest I don't know if we even made it to the right hospital.
Joe drops me off at the clinic doors and tells me to go in and he'll go park the car. The receptionist had people so she told me to sit down which I did, but I could just feel the blood seeping out and was fearful of the chair that I was in. So I got up and went outside to wait for Joe because I wanted the towel I had in the car. Joe gets there and is wondering why on earth I'm outside. So we walk back into the clinic and Joe's like we need to get to the ER and there was a male nurse that led us there and got us a doctor. As we waited for the doctor I could see the bloody trail I had made from the blood that was now filling my open back shoe. All the staff is trying to figure out where it's coming from and I cry out "It's coming from me." The put me in a wheel chair which at first I didn't want to get into because I didn't want to make anything else dirty. They assured me that they could clean it up.
So I get wheeled strait into a room which I was kind of scared because with military insurance you are supposed to notify them before you end up in the ER and we hadn't because we didn't decide till we were there. But eventually I got over it because I couldn't say anything. I was in and out for awhile because of all the loss of blood. They had to wipe down the floor in my room, they had me strip to my underwear and gave me a gown and put me in the bed. They hooked me up to an IV and checked my vitals. Then I of course threw up which sucked. But they had a bag for me before I could mess anything else up. The nurse thought it was because of the IV, but I told her it was long since coming, because I thought I'd lose it at home. After that was all done they had 2 women come in and completely undress me and gave me a new gown and wiped me up to try to clean me. I would have been more embarrassed if I was with it. They then had doctors come in and out and nurses checking up on me. Joe was amazing though. I have no idea what I would have done if he wasn't there.
So they do 2 different types of untra sounds and don't find a heart beat which I'm not surprised because I think I had lost the baby before I got to the hospital any ways. They gave me something for pain which didn't do anything but make my already spinning head worse. I remember not wanting to even have my eyes open at some points, but couldn't sleep because of the pain. So they start talking about a DNC. Which means Dilation and Curettage, which really means they put you out and they have to scrap what ever is left in your uterus out. They had to do this because I had what you call a partial miscarriage which means that not all the tissue and stuff from the baby was lost, but until it was I wouldn't stop bleeding the way I was.
So for some reason they didn't do this procedure in the ER they actually put me in an ambulance and took me to the labor and delivery place that is associated with me doctor and they did it there. I was there from around 8 or 9 till around 11 something. They did the DNC and then gave me something to eat finally! I was dying for a drink but wouldn't give me anything till after the procedure. So I was able to pee and they let me go home. I got some pills and slept one of the worst nights of my life that night. I never did get blood, though I felt like I needed some everyone who talked to me asked Joe if I always was that pale. Which was a no, but once I started eating things got better, but I still feel weak and it's already Thursday.
All I ask for is understanding. This was the worst thing of my life, it's not like I just passed the baby, that would have been one thing, but I felt like I was going to bleed to death. The fear of bleeding all over my apartment, and the hospital made me scared, more scared than ever. The doctor gave me something to help me sleep and I think that helped. And I was so surprised at how nice every nurse and doctor was and even the EMTS where. It did help to have people be nice to me. Please just pray for us and don't simply just say " there is always next time." Because this was awful and we are at a stand still right now and we don't know what we are going to do next. Thank you. I would have been 12 weeks either on Tuesday or Wednesday. :(

6 comments:

  1. I love you Britt! I feel so bad for you and Joe. Our prayers are definitely with you. I'm sorry you had to go through this experience. Give me a call if you just need someone to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're thinking of you too Brit. I had a similar experience about this time last year, sans all the blood. And instead of my husband I has three kids with me. Fortunately they didn't have to operate!
    It's so great when the people at the hospital are nice. It's pure charity. They don't know you, you will probably never be able to return the favor, but they're nice when your in the trenches. It's so Christ-like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely pray for you and your family! I am so sorry that this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I am so sorry you had to go through that Britt! Not only going through the loss of a baby (which I don't care what anyone says, that's gotta be one of the worst experiences ever) but also be fearing for your own life too?!? It takes a strong woman to be able to get through that in one piece. I'm very happy to hear just how amazing Joe was and the people at the hospital were when you were there. My thoughts and prayers go out to you guys, as well as Baby-Roberts. If you need anything, don't ever hesitate to call! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been on my mind none stop sence i heard the horible news. I can't imagine what you are going through but i'm always willing to listen if you want to talk. We love you and you guys have been and will remain in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

background