my fit pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Friday, January 14, 2011

David's Birth Story

So you don't have to read this if you don't want. It's not like it's going to have gory details because there really wasn't anything like that. I keep having issues with finding my journal and I figure there's no way it can go any where if I put it on here. So I guess what I'm trying to say this is way more for me than you and it's completely up to you if you actually read it or not.

So January 4th (night before induction) Joe and I had Domino's Pizza as my last meal since I couldn't eat or drink after 10 pm. So I wanted something good though I couldn't really eat hardly anything with being so big. Joe and I spent the night relaxing and just enjoying our last night just us. So we went to bed around midnight. I couldn't sleep very well out of discomfort and being anxious. We for some reason woke up around 3:30 am though we could have slept in till around 4 or even a little after that. So we just got our showers in, the car packed and took the 20-25 minute drive to the Renaissance Women's Birthing Center in Midwest City.
We arrived at 5:30 am and filled out the remaining paper work since we were already registered. Then we sat in the waiting room for 30 minutes while they set up my room. I thought it took way to long and the anxiety levels just kept going up and up! So we got into the room, room 111 at 6 am and had more questions and paper work to do. I got my IV and patocin at 6:30 am. At the time I got admitted I was dilated to almost a 3 same as the day before at my doctor's appointment.
So we just pretty much just relaxed until 7:50 when my doctor came and broke my water. Which kind of sucks if you ever get that experience. They had a little issue with getting it to break, but after a couple minutes they were able to get it. Nothing like feeling like your peeing yourself all through the day because it just kept leaking. Though after I got my epidural I couldn't even feel that anymore. But they said the liquid was clear which made me very happy.
After they broke the water they put two internal monitors on the baby (which I never even heard of) because they are more accurate then the ones that sit on the outside of the stomach. So with having internal monitors they had to put in a catheter which they didn't do till after 10 am. So at 9:50 I got an epidural which I held out as long as I could because those patocin induced contractions were some big killers! I did get one side affect of the epidural is itchiness. Which kind of stinks because you can try to scratch at the itch and all you feel is your numb skin and it didn't make it go away at all! So I had to deal with a big itchy stomach for a long time. It also make me pretty shaky and I didn't like that either, but that went away after a little bit. So at 10:05 am is when I got the catheter put in and they checked and said I was at 4 centimeters.
So after getting my epidural Joe and I took a nap. I guess we must have only slept around an hour. We had our lap top and started to watch the movie "The Hot Chick" since I just wanted a stupid funny movie to distract me. So David kept wanting to face my right hip and not be completely strait. So they had my do some funny things to try to get him aliened. Which is funny because the morning nurse was saying something along the lines that if they asked me to stand on my head to get the baby out that I should just do it.
So they had me on my hands and knees on the bed from 12:30 to 1:10. We just kept watching our movie and waiting for the next step. So that didn't do much for aliening the baby. So then they had me lie on my right side and put my right leg in one of the stern ups from 1:20 to 1:40 pm. I started to feel pain at 2:00 so they gave me more meds and upped my epidural dosage.
Then they had me lie on my left side with my left leg in a stern up from 2:30 to 3:20. Then when they checked me at 3:20 I was 8 cm.
Around this point in time is when my brother Taylor and his wife Jessie showed up at the hospital. Jessie seemed kind of sad that we had yet to have had the baby. but we just told them the baby didn't want to be aliened right. At 3:30 they had me lie on the left side some more least that's what I thought it was. They had me do a little more flopping around from time to time till around 5:15. I had this incredible urge to poop! It wasn't like your normal poop it was like I needed to poop out an elephant! I was super nervous about pooping in the bed. I know that sounds silly, but that's how I felt. So I called the nurse and had my brother and sister-in-law leave the room and I told the nurse I felt like I had to poop since I didn't want to poop the bed and I couldn't leave the bed since the internal monitors.
The nurse told me that's the sensation you get when your body wants you to push. I was kind of excited and getting nervous at that point because it was now or never. I got sick a couple times from being so uncomfortable! I felt bad because I sure hate being sick! So they get the stuff all set up and have me start pushing till I crowed which only seemed to take like 3 or 4 pushes though it might have been a couple more than that. And then we got to wait till the doctor showed up. It seemed to take forever because I couldn't push (though I still did a little bit because it's so hard to try and not to) because we were waiting for the doctor. I swear it took her like 20 minutes to get to the room from when they called her. So I guess that would have been around 5:50. Though it could have been a little earlier because I was in so much pressure and just wanted to get it over with! So I swear I only pushed like a dozen times though it could have been more like 20, but whatever it was David was born at 6:11 pm. Pushing wasn't bad at all! I bet without the pain meds it would have been a very different story on that one.
So when I saw David for the first time it was like a star of arms and legs (forming the shape of the star). He looked perfect waving his legs and arms moving all over the place. Joe cut the cord and kept making sure he was going to cut in the right place. He just kept telling me how good I did and was doing through the whole time I was in labor. He was awesome!
I couldn't believe how good David looked while he was on my stomach. I kept looking at him thinking I don't care what we even name you any more I didn't care about anything anymore now that I had my son with me. He just looked so perfect to me. I have never felt so much love for someone and so much love for Joe either. Just looking at Joe's face and how lit up it was at the site of our son you really can't describe something like that. I wish we could have gotten pictures of both of our faces at that point because I bet it would just speak for itself. I just can't believe how it feels to be a mom and all the emotions that come with it!
Joe followed David to the back of the room where they were doing the weight and clean up and the doctor deliver the placenta and give me a couple internal stitches (I know it was more than a couple but no idea how many) as I watched my boys from my bed. So when David was all cleaned up they brought him back to me with the cute little blanket and his hat. I kept thinking about how beautiful he was. I have never seen a baby so beautiful in my entire life! I was so happy! I feel bad I didn't bawl my eyes out but I did cry. I'm not a huge crier sometimes and my other emotions were just going crazy at that point. I couldn't believe how much they told me he weighed! I didn't ever think I would have a baby over 9 pounds. But am also happy at how well my body handled it all.
So not knowing that Joe didn't get to hold David when they were on the other side of the room I gave David over to my brother Taylor. Sorry Joe. :( But Joe will be getting to hold him for a long time. So Taylor and Jessie went and got us Applebees food which was awesome to eat for the first time in about 2o hours.
So David was born perfect and the only thing they monitored his blood sugar the first 12 hours of life since I guess bigger babies have a harder time regulating their own blood sugar. He has a birth mark on the back of neck I guess they call that "stork bites" and a couple small scabs on the top of his head that we were calling "road rash."
So David had to have some formula in the hospital since he was border line of his sugar which I still think is dumb! He got circumcised the next day and has handled that like a pro. He's so awesome!
So just a couple after thoughts that I didn't know where to put. Epidurals are awesome when your getting checked for dilation especially when you have two people or even 3 at one point checking you to see which way your baby is facing. I don't think I would have been able to stand it if I didn't have the epidural. I had a hard time with the 2 or 3 times that they checked me before hand. I know people say they miss feeling the baby move inside of you after they are born, but I'm so much more comfortable to have him on the outside of me! Which makes me so happy. When I was strapped to all my monitors and stuff I had 7 wires connected to me! I had my epidural (so the cord attached to my back), my IV which had normal fluid and patocin, my blood pressure cuff, the little oxygen thing that goes on your finger, and two internal monitors to the baby. All I can say is wow. But having a baby does hurt quite a bit when it comes to the after math. Also all the stuff that happens to your body after you have a baby is crazy, I'm just happy I don't have many of the crazy stuff that can happen.
So now I'm enjoying my son and having Joe home till Thursday of next week.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Congratulations! I'm glad everything went perfectly!! You couldn't ask for anything better! I hope you keep enjoying him and all that it brings. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww....they say you don't know how much your children change you until they are born and your description of love changes! Sounds like you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Britt! I've been thinking of you a lot. I hope things are going great! Is he growing so fast? I'm trying to figure out what season it will be when he's ready for 6-12 clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

background