my fit pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Breastfeeding

So I posted this on a website and was wondering if anyone on here can give me some advice. I have no idea who really looks at this thing so anyone can chime in please!
My son will be 8 weeks on Wednesday and for what seems like a week he keeps having these extremely fussy times when it comes to feeding. He's been passing gas a lot today and some yesterday, but he doesn't seem to be bloated or anything. He didn't poo at all today (well very small amounts a couple of times), I feel like he's to young to be worrying about teeth, and he seems completely fine until it comes time to lay him on his side to feed him. It happens at least one in the morning and once in the evening. I don't know what to do! I try massage for his belly and cycling (just in case it's gas), I've tried to swaddle him to make him more comfortable, I've tried to steadily tap his back while he eats to try to distract him, I've tried talking to him, and I've tried pumping in case it was a to fast/slow milk let down. Is this something I should talk to a lactation person about or a doctor? I'm getting to a point that I'm afraid to feed him because I don't know if he's going to completely freak out or not. I'm almost on the verge of tears when my son has a melt down and I just don't know what to do! I forgot to mention that sometimes while he's still nursing and falling asleep he will swallow and that will wake him up and he starts screaming.

3 comments:

  1. Don't get discouraged! Breastfeeding is hard sometimes. I think with Alison she started giving me nursing problems at about 4-5 weeks too and it is very disheartening. But, she was like throwing up everything that she ate, so it was a little different problem. David is just being fussy. Alison later also had that same, "don't put me horizontal or I'll cry" thing too. So, I got creative with some holds sometimes, like they could just sit up and eat (kinda like a football hold). I know with Alison we even eventually used a little "teet sweet" or whatever it is called that the hospital gave us... basically some sugar water... and put that on my breast and then she would latch on. We only used it a few times just so I didn't have to fight her for like half an hour (cause sometimes I did!). She was always worse about this when she was extra hungry, when it had been longer than the normal 2.5-3 hours (which is extra frustrating since I knew she was hungry and I was trying to help our and she was making it SO difficult). Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like maybe overactive letdown? you might wanna look it up on Kellymom. If he's gaining weight and having wet diapers and not fussy other times, I'd just keep nursing and hoping it'd go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would ask your pediatrician, because Porter got horrible acid reflux when he was an infant, and as soon as that was fixed he was great!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

background